NoteCuts (iOS 12 Only)
iOS 12 Only. Use Autocuts if on iOS 13. Run shortcuts from local and remote devices via shared notes
For iOS 12 only. If you are on iOS 13, use Autocuts instead.
NoteCuts continually monitors shared notes on Apple Notes, Dropbox, and Evernote, enabling automatically running of shortcuts, even when the iOS device is locked and sleeping.
With NoteCuts, you can:
- Run shortcuts automatically, no tapping on notification banners required!
- Integrate with popular third-party services like IFTTT and Zapier to send shortcut commands to your iOS device using hundreds of triggers.
- Turn your iPad or iPhone into a server to remotely run shortcuts to get device status, retrieve content, or deliver notifications.
- Access and run shortcuts — with their permission — on other people's iOS devices.
- Assist people who are less familiar with their iOS devices (i.e. parents and children) troubleshoot, web pages, display notifications, or run other shortcuts.
NotesCuts offers features such as the ability to:
- Integration with shared notes in Apple Notes and Evernote, or text files on Dropbox.
- Limit which shortcuts are available to run on a per-note basis.
- Run shortcuts while the screen is locked and the device is sleeping.
- Notify owners of shared notes that there are shortcuts that you would like them to run.
- Send input to the shortcuts.
- Switch to the Shortcuts app for displaying menus and dialogs.
A common request from Shortcuts users is whether shortcuts can be automatically triggered. And, the most common, albeit uninformed, response is that they cannot. While true this is not a built-in part of iOS, solutions do exist today. I have developed a suite of apps enabling automatic triggering of shortcuts across a variety of use cases:
- Cronios: Date and time based scheduling. Enables shortcuts that can check for triggering events every minute.
- GeoCuts: Location-based triggering of shortcuts.
- WatchCuts: Trigger shortcuts from any iCloud-connected device, including Macs, Apple Watch, and iCloud.com.
- NoteCuts: Trigger shortcuts to automatically run on iOS devices by monitoring shared notes on Apple Notes, Dropbox, and Evernote.
- AlarmCuts: Attach shortcuts to run with alarms using ringtones and GarageBand.
Of course, it would be great if these features are built into iOS and Shortcuts, but we could be waiting a long time for those features to come. In the meantime, you can take advantage of these automation shortcuts today.
NoteCuts has the following system requirements:
- Shortcuts 2.2
- iCloud Notes, Evernote, or Dropbox
- (Recommended) IFTTT, Zapier, or other third-party web integration service.
- (Optional) Cronios if you want to run NoteCuts with other Cronios-compatible background shortcuts.
- (Optional) Silent audio file in the Music app on your iOS device.
Complete documentation can be found in-app or at:
Latest Release Notes
1.0.9 - May 31, 2019, 9:20 p.m.
- New updates are now presented to the user.